Wednesday, October 19, 2011

U-God's Resume #18: "The Projects"


--Official Stats--
Artist: Wu-Tang Clan
Song: "The Projects" and "Projects (International Remix)"
Album: Wu-Tang Forever
Release Date: June 3, 1997

WELL I HATE THIS SONG. Now, I haven't heard it in a long time because it didn't make the transition from the CD to the MP3 player. So when I listen to it in just a few seconds it will be the first time I've heard it in like 4 years. Wish me luck. Thinking back, I just remember that it has Meth with a great verse, some irritating piano and violin instrumentation, and Ghostface. That's all I remember. I don't remember U-God on here at all! Let's review this MF'er and also check my MFing memory, MFer:

"The Projects"





DUH! THIS SONG. OH YEAH. It starts with Raekwon and Shyheim chatting on the phone. Shyheim says that he is "studyin' one-twenty right now", which is something I say A LOT thanks to this song. So now I remember Rae being on this. But is U-God on here? OHOHOHO! HE'S ON THE CHORUS:

[U-God] Projects
[Raekwon] My ni**az survive, just like a movin target
[U-God] Projects
[Raekwon] Where ni**az live and some sell garbage that's
[U-God] Projects
[Raekwon] Try to escape the flyin shells dodgin
[U-God] New York projects
[Raekwon] I'm livin large yo, stop miragin

Is that it? I still don't remember a U-God verse......well, here is Method Man's verse. Yep, it's good. Actually Meth's first few lines are sick (ICU level), he is just dope over an awful beat. Then Ghost has the last verse (and it's suprsingly dirty, how do you do it Ghostface?). SO U-GOD SAYS THREE WORDS ON THIS SONG..."PROJECTS" + "NEW" + "YORK". THAT'S WEAK. U-God is barely on here and let me just say that the chorus SUCKS (and that is the only thing U-God is on). His contribution sucks. I mean it's a good thing Method Man and Ghostface are so talented becasue otherwise this song would have been an absolute disaster.

"Projects (International Remix)"


Somehow I had this version of this song on a mixtape like ten years ago. I think I classified it as a "pass" or a "skip". Actually, it would have probably been a "fast-forward" since most of the mixtapes I picked up were literally cassette tapes. Where was I, oh yeah, this remix...let's check my memory:






The beat is like a million times better...I suppose. But it's the same crappy song. SAME SCORES, SAME THREE WORDS, AND SAME FINGER POINTING WHATEVER THAT MEANS (ALL CAPS). Actually, -1 point for not having the "studying one-twenty" line. And we're done, may we never encounter "international" remixes again.


The Projects Score: 4/10
U-God’s Score: 0/10
Projects (International Remix) Score: 3/10
U-God’s Score: 0/10
Impact on Rep (+,-,=): None


Next Week: "Wu-Tang Forever" and U-God check in for Bells of War.

Projects
About this series: “U-God’s Resume" is a series of posts which looks at each line of U-God’s entire career to determine if his status as ‘wack’ is justified (as labeled by internet morons). I think it is not. U-God is dope. We'll prove it. Leave it to the Tort Team.


No comments:

Post a Comment