Monday, June 4, 2012

We Got Something New! Big Bad Baragon "Angie"


I'm Tort Team, even when I'm by myself.
I'm Illideph, even when I'm by myself.
I crack skulls, even when I'm by myself.


All of that boasting aside, Newburgh, New York's best is back in the place with more fire.

Of course we're talking about Big Bad Baragon, who you might remember from his hit song 6th Borough (which we gave a very high score to due to it's dopeness).

Well, he's done it again. This time he's dedicated a song to a classmate DJ AnGee Cee, and while I don't know who that is, I must say this song is on another level. Actually, it's exactly on the level of Tribe's Bonita Applebum, which is a very good thing.



Now at great risk of pulling anger and wrath from older heads, I've gotta say that I like Angie as much as Bonita Applebum. Now, I'm saying that with a major qualifier: Bonita is a classic. Tribe Called Quest was laying foundation with their shit, that breakbeat is insane and the casual spit is innovative as hell. Angie is some new underground shit that builds off the people who pioneered this shit. But the reason that I like Angie so much is because it takes the path laid by previous MCs (like Q-Tip) and improves it. Angie's beat is hard as hell, the change ups are mad nice, and the lyrics are dead on. But the most important aspect of this song, the reason that it rises above the rest, is the back-and-forth (a cornerstone of hip hop) which is employed perfectly.

You got bodied. This track is perfect. Get that mixtape out.
 
ANGIE SCORE 10/10



A Tribe Called Quest - Bonita Applebum by hushhush112
































No comments:

Post a Comment