Monday, July 2, 2012

JG Choice Cut: BJ The Chicago Kid "His Pain"





Steppin' live in the place.


We're back with another musical selection from Detroit's own: JG. Give him a round of applause. Do it you ungrateful lowlife.


Today we're checking out His Pain by BJ the Chicago Kid. Who? I have no idea who this is and I work on Hip Hop every day of my life. I suspect that I am out of the loop on this one because I would probably never check for this track thanks to the name BJ the Chicago Kid. What is that all about? Sounds weird. Plus the song name, "His Pain" sounds like some weak R&B business, and I don't like weak business. Although as soon as I heard the album title "Pineapple Now & Laters" I remembered him, "Oh yeh, that guy" - me.


The song features Kendrick Lamar, someone I have heard of but am not a fan of thanks to all the singing and not enough rough rapping. But I've got nothing against him. I hope he makes a lot of money and has all the success.


Okay, let's see how the track is...





Well. So jazzy. Too jazzy. Too much chorus, repeat x500, right? I guess I'm going to have to do a word count on the low: the word "bless" was used in some form 36 times! That's overkill BJ the Chicago Kid.

That aside, I like the track, ESPECIALLY WHEN THE BEAT DROPS LIKE AN HOUR INTO THE SONG. The lyrical skill is high, I appreciate the structure with the mirroring of the first verse in te second verse and the clever counterpoint between those who are blessed, and those who are not. The follow through. Plus the answer to the question "why does he keep blessing me?". Nicely done. Even the singing at the end is mad nice. Very good. Excellent.


I can't believe I'm going to do this but:
HIS PAIN SCORE 9/10


No comments:

Post a Comment