Thursday, June 16, 2011

We Got Something New: J. Cole "Work Out"

We Got Something New: J. Cole "Work Out"



I don't want to do this again.  I don't want to post up another new track by J. Cole yet.  It's too soon.  This guy is throwing out new tracks every week to see if something sticks. As a quick recap from last week: I am a J. Cole fan.  Now for this week: this track is weak.  It takes two of Cole's greatest weaknesses as an MC and runs with them.  The first is that he takes a lot of trips to the "ladies" well.  By that I mean that "ladies" are his go-to topic. He handles it just fine most of the time, but I'M GETTING SICK OF HEARING ABOUT IT J. COLE, I GET IT YOU LIKE LADIES.  The second weakness is his poor judgement when it comes to some artistic choices.  He is usually spot on with his musical decisions and he is way better than most of his peers. Most of the time, even if I don't like his decisions regarding what to put on a track I at least understand and respect them.  However, when Cole fails, he really flops.  I think this single is an excellent example of an artistic decision that comes across as corny: Paula Abdul lines.  Seriously dumbass?  Do you think anyone anywhere wants to hear you doing that? 

Okay ROC Nation staff and J. Cole, ask yourself: is this really a good choice for a first single?  No.  Should this be included on any album other than some sort of b-sides compilation?  No. I mean the beat is okay, maybe a little too smooth for my taste, but I'll tolerate it to hear a dope MC spit, but if that dope MC is doing karaoke of Paula Abdul then I'm out.  You lose this time J. Cole.  Who dat?

You ain't going plat with this mess.  Also, stop trying to go plat and try to continue to make good tracks.

Score: 2/10

No comments:

Post a Comment