Wednesday, December 14, 2011

U-God's Resume #24, Sunz of Man "Intellectuals"



--Official Stats--
Artist: Sunz of Man featuring Chef Raekwon and U-God
Song: "Intellectuals"
Album: The Last Shall Be First

Release Date: July 21, 1998


Look, at this blog we bounce exclamation points off your eyeballs like machine gun bullets...we jam your RAM full of the things. Why? That's how we roll!!! We're excited to bring you breaking news and reviews of songs that came out fifteen years ago that nobody heard. This is one of those songs. But are we excited about it? Sure, why not? I don't remember this track specifically but this album was definitely in the archives and, as I remember, was a bright spot in the dark ages of hip hop (1998 - 2001). It has a bunch of dope songs and even overcomes a song produced by Wyclef Jean (feat. ODB of all people) to be considered a good album.

I don't remember how the Sunz of Man were affiliated with the Wu, I could look it up, but I don't really care that much. The only thing important thing was the illness of their album, their affiliation is secondary. Actually, I guess I am interested in how these guys got an album. OH! They were the first act signed to Wu-Tang records, and as I look over the production notes of the album I realize that this was one of the first projects to drop after the RZA's five year plan completed. When this came out it really was the future of Wu-Tang, the blueprint for everything to come, we just didn't know it at the time. It was almost entirely produced by the Wu's house of producers (4th Disciple + True Master), it had an obligatory RZA track, and it had a bunch of guest spots for internal Clansmen. This is basically the same production plan that is used for Wu albums today. It works sometimes (like on this album), but for the most part it hasn't helped the Wu maintain their position as innovators. It's like coasting.


"Intellectuals"

So let's check out the track, featuring production from True Master and the only appearances ever from U-God and Raekwon on a Sunz of Man song. Maybe they weren't that good of friends. Oh, and before we start the song I should mention that this song made it to the Sunz of Man's greatest hits album...so it's going to be slamming:




This song is dope as hell. The beat jut jumps off and Rae starts the blood bath strong. 60 Second Assassin (who has a dumb name) is second and keeps it moving. Next we have U-God with the chorus:

Intellectual, rhymin professionals
Bring all the ladies, in my directional
(Repeat)

That's okay! I mean it's clever and I'll give it a pass. Hell Razah is next, and has a really off-putting flow. I know the boy is a good MC, but this verse is wack. Now U-God returns with a full verse and absolutely murders it. Dead:

My attitude is metal, I’m rotten to the veins
Saber-toothed tiger in the booth still remains
You see let it be let your soul feel free
And disdain with the horror from the powers that be
And it’s grabbing me, jabbing me, stabbing me, imagine me trapped
Fully packed anti, combat, gravity rap that
The A-L-ike attracts and, hunchback chills
The sinner’s to gain reveal, homicide hill
The thundersound underground, Plymouth rock
The loud mouth grouch in your house, comstock
The curser, verse with the worser thirster frantic
The felony’s swellin me, tellin me to push the panic

So that's one of U-God's best verses, and it's spit over an amazing beat. It's like a hidden classic track. 60 Second Assassin closes out the song with some singing and a lot of talking. It helps the track end on a high note. This is a great song, Rae and U-God kill it with U delivering the best verse. The Sunz of Man crew is outshined by the big names, and Hell Razah holds down the "worst verse" spot. Very interesting and very good. As a side note, you should also check out Method Man's verse from "Next Up" because it's one of his best (Next Up is the song that comes right before this one on the album), that shit should get a complete write up on it's own. A dope write up.

Finally, at some point in his career U-God embraced being called a grouch (because he was apparently grumpy to work with), this might be the first mention of that nickname. That's it!

Track Score: 9/10
U-God’s Score: 10/10
Impact on Rep (+,-,=): None (nobody heard this, but if you did I would move this to 'helps')


Next Week: U-God cashes a check for helping La the Darkman out with his song "Element of Surprise".

About this series: U-God’s Resume" is a series of posts which looks at each line of U-God’s entire career to determine if his status as ‘wack’ is justified (as labeled by internet morons). I think it is not. U-God is dope. We'll prove it. Leave it to the Tort Team.




No comments:

Post a Comment