Wednesday, March 28, 2012

U-God's Resume #39, "Shell Shock"




--Official Stats--
Artist: U-God
Song:
10. "Shell Shock"
Producer: Hak Da Navigator
Album: Golden Arms Redemption
Release Date: October 5, 1999

I don't remember this song at all, but I'll tell you this right now: If the chorus of this song is just someone saying "Shell Shock" over and over then I'll end the review right there...or, if the chorus rhymes "shock" with "rock". I've had it with these terrible choruses. I don't care if Raekwon is on here, if the chorus is that wack, them I'm gone. Tornado. Hak Da Navigator, whoever you are, please bring the ruckus cleverly...please:

10. "Shell Shock"



Okay? I don't know. The chorus didn't go where I thought it would, nice job...they rhyme "Shell Shock" with "Melting Pot". Thank goodness.


So who do we have rapping here? U-God (duh), Hell Razah (from Sunz of Man), Letha Face (from this album), and Raekwon (from being one of the best ever). So Raekwon obviously wins with no problems, the other three never had a chance here. So since Rae kills it we'll start with him. Rae has the best vocal production by far and he seems to handle the crappy beat (boring beat?) better than U, he gets right to it and stays on-time even if he veers generic pretty quick. Letha Face is quite obviously out of his league as his verse stinks. Then Hell Razah's verse. That guy, right? Always with the religious stuff that gets old. Quite honestly I don't want to hear any of that stuff anymore. I've lost my patience for it. How did the Wu go from Protect Ya Neck to weird religious stuff from b-listers? I don't know and I don't like it.


That leaves U-God. The host with the most. I could go a lifetime without hearing the first few line of his verse. I mean, the content is on, but the flow or something is off, right. He gets his stride at some point, but after that rocky start he isn't saving shit. Plus all the Letha Face. You can skip this song. I know I will forever.


Sadly, tragedy happen
Lost in captivity, imagine me happily clappin
Big barrels, heavy ammo, man the mammal
Packed in commando, rapidly practice soprano
Crack my fingers on pianos
I torture you with orchestra tackle

on your back, the jackal
No time to react, combat, flyin shrapnel

Kamikaze degrees, chariots of fire, live wire
Dunn, rock it til your knees drop, over tree tops
Colossal current enforcing, outer bridge crossin
One foot first, is the rebirth, the crime arson
Caution, furnace flyin, deserters try to black ball us
Over the face of the Earth's surface
The heat is heatin up, demon from the east wing
Hitman's bullet, leave you barely breathin and barely seein
A critically blaze, biblical plague in amaze
Riddle the box, smothered in cops
Sky hugger, Space Jam, slam in the blizzard of rocks
A space invader, laced with lasers and with omega weapons
Magnificent 7, this cannibal mouth, gangsta spectrum
Form an animal house, film at 11
Track Score: 3/10
U-God’s Score: 4/10
Impact on Rep (+,-,=): Harms


Next Week: U-God's solo album continues with "Lay Down", we'll listen to it if we can resist the urge to skip to the end of the album and put on something else.

About this series: U-God’s Resume is a series of posts which looks at each line of U-God’s entire career to determine if his status as ‘wack’ is justified (as labeled by internet morons). I think it is not. U-God is dope. We'll prove it. Leave it to the Tort Team.


No comments:

Post a Comment