Wednesday, April 25, 2012

U-God's Resume #42, "Turbo Charge"




--Official Stats--
Artist: U-God
Song: 13. "Turbo Charge"

Producer: The RZA
Album: Golden Arms Redemption

Release Date: October 5, 1999


Dear U-God in 1999,


You do not know me, but I'm a blogger from the future (2012!) and I'm emailing this back in time to help you out and also to chastise you.


First of all, how have you been? Good I hope. Uh, what's up with Bill Clinton right? That guy, what a character. Oh, and Jar Jar Binks: that's probably big news. What an a-hole. Selling albums? Great (don't get used to that, nobody sells albums in 2012, our phone rings are the only way people hear music). Best Buy doesn't even really have a CD section anymore! Can you believe that! The future is all Apple Computers and recessions!


So anyway I am writing this you to ask you a question about your solo. What in the hell is up with the song titles on the album? They're all the same. It's either a verb "Glide" "Rumble" or another irritating word "Bizarre". Or it's a combo like "Turbo Charge" or "Shell Shock". Not very creative. "Dat's Gangsta" is embarrassing. I don't like any of them. Your fellow clansmen have really cool song titles like "Apollo Kids", "Mantis", and "Dangerous Grounds", you get the idea. Cool shit. I want to hear a song called ""Hyperdermix" not "Soul Dazzle".  I guess what I'm trying to say is get more creative on your song titles, they're a real downer. Don't worry though, this isn't a big deal in our time, just something that bothers me. You've had a few more solo albums since this one and the Wu is still around. Raekwon is releasing a mixtape like every month!


So, signing off! - Dag Dilligent (2012)


P.S. Avoid flying and Lower Manhattan for all of September in 2011 and sell your house in about 2005 and don't buy again until at least 2011. Bet everything on the Red Sox in 2004.




ALL THAT NONSENSE AND WE HAVE A SONG TO REVIEW....this one is produced by the RZA, so we have hope:

13. "Turbo Charge"



See how good U-God sounds on a RZA beat. His levels are perfect. Everything else is a mess though. The beat is awful. What in the hell was the RZA on in 1999? It's a competent beat, like it's got all the stuff that's supposed to be in a beat, but IT DOESN'T SOUND GOOD. And that chorus! WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bon Voyage to this shit. I think U's verses were good, but it's like he was trying to rhyme over two bad beats playing at the same time. Once again, it's a hint of greatness overshadowed by something enormously bad. It seems like a lot of these songs have something good: the beat, or the lyrics, or something; and then a terrible thing. The good stuff just never seems to appear on one track without the bad stuff. That's one of the worst reviews that anyone has ever written.

Track Score: 0/10
U-God’s Score: 0/10
Impact on Rep (+,-,=): Harms


Next Week: U-God's solo, track 14: "Knockin' at Your Door"

About this series: U-God’s Resume is a series of posts which looks at each line of U-God’s entire career to determine if his status as ‘wack’ is justified (as labeled by internet morons). I think it is not. U-God is dope. We'll prove it. Leave it to the Tort Team.

--Terrible transcription of Lyrics from Metrolyrics--


Rocket on...to the break of dawn...elevation yo...
(Verse)
  Elevation smell the vibration
 mystique beneath the beat cave in
Super freak meaty bone tones
discreet goncha leave is a sweet sensation
(egg is I) forsaken take over in the making live wire retire all great men
mic-pope rope-a-dope (ma-des-en)
intention Broke through your fences now this is the redemption
 Nerve wrechin unstoppable high colossal
 tonsil obstacle-able hard to true bobbin
Shopping through no question
 honey I'm sexual intellectual (vamp) rhyming professional
Swing all the ladies in I directional
potential bright clever and soft
Whatever more encore the shit you adore
hard



[Chorus]
Cause its hard turbo charge and I'm doing shit my way
 Bon Voyage Shoalin dodge nigga
I'm going shit my way
Turbo charge nigga its hard
cause I'm doing shit my way
 Yes its hard praise to god
 nigga I'm doing shit my way
How it sounds
now hold it down right down to the ground...
(Verse)Pleasure the light mic the treasure
strangers in the night
 Can't fight the spinning (lining) of pearl from left to right
 Have guns (yo will) travel milky way dripping in the brisk
 At your own risk silver shadow
That might lurk in the image in the Pharaoh when the road gets narrow
 An hour off after hour devour with the power the background amp
 Wine (your mission) to the party mix champ
Wu stamp genie out the lamp cramp sex position Exposition
body count technician bets deep rising ask killa-shit
Wax __-ize this courage of the fearless wu enterprise
sent to risen Grand prize landslide pipe in holy lighting told me I'm frighten
Goldie the only __ speaking that excitement


No comments:

Post a Comment