Wednesday, May 2, 2012

U-God's Resume #43, "Knockin' at Your Door"




--Official Stats--
Artist: U-God
Song: 14. "Knockin' at Your Door"

Producer: John the Baptist
Album: Golden Arms Redemption
Release Date: October 5, 1999

We're finally almost at the last song of the album! It's this one, and one more, then we're done. For Knockin' at Your Door I see that Baby U  brought back in his buddy John the Baptist, we know old John for his work on the world famous song Lay Down (also on this album). I seem to remember hating that song because of the beat and the chorus, so things aren't looking good today. But maybe I shouldn't judge the track by the producer before I've even heard it (even though I did that very thing with the Trackmasters for years). It'll probably be great right? Let's see...

HOLD ON! I just started the track, I made it literally five seconds in and I ALREADY HATE IT. WHAT THE F KIND OF BEAT IS THIS? IT SOUNDS TERRIBLE. Like your little nephew was trying out his new computer and threw something together to embarass his uncle U-God. Good Grief this is going to be torture......

14. "Knockin' at Your Door"



On the good side, U's first verse is okay, but any goodwill he earns is absolutely destroyed by the chorus. He takes the song Let 'em In  by Wings and just runs with that weak shit. Here it is...


Someone knockin' at the door (spark the war)
Somebody bringin' it swell (brain cell)
Y'all really want the fuckin' war (Go god)
Golden Arms bringin' it swell (Break down)


Hmph. I guess I should point out that when U is saying "swell" he means the present tense of "swole", not "swell" like neat-o. Okay? Still, how can I still be dissapointed when I expected this to be something terrible? I don't know.


After getting hit over the head with that chorus Letha Face comes in with a decent verse as well. So we have two decent verses over an awful beat with a terrible chorus. You just can't win with Golden Arms Redemption. And HOLY GRAVY, the chorus is different the second time! Is it better? Nope:
Somebody rockin hardcore (spark the war)
Somebody bringin' it swell (brain cell)
Y'all really want the fuckin' war (Go god)
Golden Arms bringin' it swell (Break down)

What is it with U-God and "Rocking"? He's always talking about "rocking" and nobody that I know want's to do it. Drop it. DAMMIT after another verse by U we get anoter variation of the chorus.


Y'all want the fuckin hardcore (spark the war)
Golden Arms bringin' it swell (brain cell)
Young Guns out for the cause (go god)
Golden Arms ringin' the bell(raise hell)
Bell, beeeeelllll, bell, bell, beaaahhh, baaahhh, buh 


I am not a fan of ANY OF THIS.


Track Score: 0/10
U-God’s Score: 0/10
Impact on Rep (+,-,=): Harms


Next Week: U-God's last track from his solo, track 15: "Night the Ciry Cried"

About this series: U-God’s Resume is a series of posts which looks at each line of U-God’s entire career to determine if his status as ‘wack’ is justified (as labeled by internet morons). I think it is not. U-God is dope. We'll prove it. Leave it to the Tort Team.


No comments:

Post a Comment