Thursday, May 24, 2012

The Bronx Major: Nine


Are you ready? Let’s look at a few classic tracks that’ll flip ya wig, kid.

Nine is a gravel voiced Bronx MC (also known as the Bronx Major), who was relatively small time and is still not to be confused with Tech N9ne because of the name or DMX because of the voice. Nine is known for his single “Whutcha Want?” and then for disappearing. “Whutcha Want?” is one of my all-time favorite tracks, it’s way up there on the list. So let’s just shut up and check it out.

"Whutcha Want?"


Phat beats for my rhymes...


That’s the best.  Now, let’s just add on…everyone knows that DJ Lennox is a great DJ. Shout out to wherever Lennox is from. I really liked his “Notorious 3000” remix album, but the standout track for me was #4, the I Get The Paper Remix, I bet it’s because it blends three of my favorite hip hop shits: Top Billin’ by the Audio Two, Get The Paper by B.I.G., and Whutcha Want? by Nine. This is like my dream song. Dream team. It’s perfect. Go ahead and skip down to #4 to hear what I’m talking about, then spin the whole thing later…
Blap Blap! Life is good.


Okay, I can’t stop. Let’s stick with Nine and go on to a track with an interesting backstory: “Any Emcee”. Now, the sample for this track is played out big time (not the Eric B. & Rakim sample, the “I’ll Be Around” ample that forms the beat), but when this song came out it was fresh and new. So now for the interesting thing, and also the strangest thing ever: San Fransisco rapper Rappin’ 4-Tay, came out with a song called “I’ll be Around” on March 7, 1995. This song was huge and it used the exact same “I’ll Be Around” sample as Nine’s “Any Emcee”, so two songs with the same beat. The amazing thing is that Nine released this song on the exact same day, March 7, 1995. That’s a major coincidence, two songs, from different coasts with the same beat being released on the same day. How did that happen? It doesn’t really matter, it’s a dope sample that Rappin’ 4 turned into a major radio hit, even though Nine’s track is a better song. But I'll give 4-Tay credit, after the first verse this song is still pretty good...




Amazing.



Let’s just go with another dope Nine song. The previous two were both from his 1995 album “Nine Livez”, this song is from his 1996 album “Cloud 9” (an album with one of my favorite album covers, see the top of this post). Lyin’ King was Nine's last hit, and I think that it barely qualifies as that since nobody really heard it, but I’ll attest that it is good. Now you can see for yourself…



See, u doubted and then u got bodied.
Okay, we’ll wrap this up with a little bit of a switch up. We’ll stick with Nine, but change lanes to KRS-One. His album Strickly for da Breakdancers & Emceez was an instrumental album that the teacher dropped in 2001 and nobody checked for because most of us aren’t Breakdances or Emceez, we’re just normal people. Anyway, the song Steady Bounce was the first track on the “Breakdancers” side, and it samples Nine very well. So go ahead and give it a listen, then grab a piece of cardboard and spin on your head. (keep in mind it is an instrumental)…



This is one of the best posts ever! You're so lucky.


WHUTCHA WANT? SCORE 10/10
I GET THE PAPER REMIX (DJ LENNOX BLEND) SCORE 10/10
ANY EMCEE SCORE 9/10
I’LL BE THERE SCORE 7/10
LYIN’ KING SCORE 9/10
STEADY BOUNCE SCORE 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment